“Popups never work. So annoying and distracting.”
“Spending hours creating a popup? Such a waste of time!”
Some people think popups are dead, even forever.
Annoying, distracting. Got it.
But let us tell you this:
POPUPS AREN’T DEAD.
From big brands like Armani, Estee Lauder, Shiseido to marketing experts like Neil Patel, Brian Dean, Tim Soulo – they all have been using popups for years (until now).
“OK. I’m using a popup, too. But why did I get only a few conversions?”
It’s because you did it wrong.
The truth is it’s not about the popup itself that makes you fail. It’s about your understanding of what makes a successful popup (that doesn’t annoy visitors).
The headline, call to action (CTA) button, and image design – everything in your popup should be well-designed.
Today, we’ll show you 29 over-the-top amazing headline formulas that help you create an attention-grabbing popup.
For the CTA button and image design, read this article to learn secret tips and tricks: 18 best call to action tactics.
You may now go bananas for 29 headline formulas. But before jumping into them, you should first learn the role of popup headline. In other words, why you should care about the headline when it’s just a line of a short text (usually less than 10 words)?
There are two main reasons:
- A headline attracts visitors’ attention. Most of the time, headlines in popups are large text, which makes them eye-catching.
- A headline is possibly the first thing that visitors see when they visit your store. It motivates them to read the rest of the popup.
That’s it! Now is the time to discover the best headline formulas that your visitors can’t help but click.
Note: You’ll need SiteKit to edit your popup headline. If you haven’t had an account, get SiteKit right now for free.
29 headlines formulas to rocket your subscribers and conversions
There isn’t one right formula to write a headline. But some specific formulas of headlines have proven themselves to be super-effective for a long time.
Here they are:
1. The number headline
Formula: [Discount/$X] Off Your First/Next Order/Purchase/Specific Item
- 10% Off Your First Order
- 50% Off Your First Pair
- $20 Off Your First Lipstick
Source: Shwood Eyewear
2. The ‘Get’ headline
- Get [Discount/Gift/Promo Code] Off (Your First/Next Order)
- Get Free Shipping
- Get 20% Off
- Get 20% Off Your First Order
- Get 20% Off Your Next Order
- Get Free Shipping
- Get a Free Sample
- Get a Free Book
- Get Free Writing Tips
- Get [Brand] Delivered Straight To Your Inbox
3. The ‘Win’ headline
Formula: Win A [Gift/Discount/Promo Code]
- Win A Free Lipstick
- Win All This
- Win A 15% Discount
- Win A Trip to Vancouver
4. The ‘Become’ headline
Formula: Become An/A [Brand] Insider/VIP
- Become A ReserveBar Insider
- Become A SiteKit Insider
- Become An AU LIT VIP
5. The ‘Here’s’ headline
Formula: Here’s [Discount/Promo Code/Gift/Tips/etc.]
- Here’s 30% Off Instantly!
- Here’s The Best Lipstick Forever!
- Here’s Your Last Chance!
- Here’s The Ultimate Guide You Ever Need!
Source: Robin McGraw Revelation
6. The ‘Take’ headline
- Take [Discount/Promo Code/$X] Off Your First/Next Order/Purchase
- Take A Free [Gift/Sample] With Your First/Next Order/Purchase
- Take A Full $150 Off Your First Order
- Take 10% Off Your First Purchase
- Take A Free Bracelet With Your First Order
Source: EM Cosmetics
7. The ‘Enjoy’ headline
- Enjoy [Discount/Promo Code/$X] Off Your First/Next Order/Purchase
- Enjoy A Free [Gift/Sample] With Your First/Next Order/Purchase
- Enjoy 10% Off Your First Purchase
- Enjoy $50 Off Your First Order
- Enjoy 15% Off Your Next Order
- Enjoy A Free Dress With Your Next Purchase
8. The ‘Wait’ headline
- Wait Just [Number] Second
- Wait Before You Go […]
- Wait Just A Second
- Wait Before You Go – Check Out Your New Lipstick
Source: Vessi Footwear
9. The ‘Stay’ headline
- Stay In The Loop
- Stay Curious
- Stay In The Loop
- Stay Curious! Sign Up To Get The Latest News About US
Source: Mythical Store
10. The ‘Save’ headline
Formula: Save [Discount/$X] On Your First/Next Order/Purchase
- Save 20% On Your First Order
- Save $20 On Your Next Purchase
11. The ‘How About’ headline
Formula: How About [Discount/$X] Off Your First/Next Order/Purchase
- How About 10% Off Your First Order
- How About $20 Off Your Next Purchase
12. The ‘Join’ headline
- Join […] And Get/Win [Gift/Discount/Promo Code] Off
- Join Today And Save [Discount/$X]
- Join Today And Save 10%
- Join Us And Get A Free Gift
- Join Our Newsletter
Source: Quest Nutrition
13. The ‘Sign Up For’ headline
- Sign Up For [Discount/$X] Off Your First/Next Order/Purchase
- Sign Up For A Free [Gift] With Your First/Next Order/Purchase
- Sign Up For An Instant [Discount] Off Coupon
- Sign Up For 5% Off Your First Order
- Sign Up For $10 Off Your Next Purchase
Source: Mansur Gavriel
14. The ‘Want’ headline
- Want [Discount/$X] Off?
- Want A Free [Thing] To […]
- Want $10 Off?
- Want A Free Guide To Make More Sales In 3 Days?
15. The ‘Up To’ headline
Formula: Up To [Discount/$X] Off […]
- Up To 70% Off All Products
- Up To $40 Off All Bracelets
Source: Ru La La
16. The ‘Save’ headline
Formula: Save [Discount/$X] On [Products]
- Save 20% On All Products
- Save $40 On Suitcases
- Save $40 Now!
17. The ‘Framework’ headline
Formula: [Desired Outcome] Framework
- 100K Blog Traffic Framework
- $100K Sales Revenue Framework
18. The ‘Unlock’ headline
Formula: Unlock [Discount/Promo Code/Gift]
- Unlock 10% Off
- Unlock A Free Gift
19. The ultimate list headline
Formula: X Things/Hacks/Tips, etc. To Do Something
- 10 Hacks To Drive Your Sales Like Crazy
- 20 Things To Help You Build Your Career In 2019
- 15 Tips To Stop Diet And Stay Healthy Forever
Source: Marc and Angel
20. The game invitation headline
- Try Your Luck
- Spin To Win
- Enter To Win
- Try Your Luck! This Is Your Last Chance
- Spin To Win! Today Is Your Lucky Day!
21. The bold statement headline
Formula: [Use Power Words To Describe What You Can Give To Your Visitors]
- Best Marketing Tips You Ever Need
- Best Bags. Cheapest Price. Fastest Shipping.
Source: Life-long Learner
22. The promise headline
- We Can Help You […]
- […] That Gets You […]
- We Can Help You Make A $10,000 Revenue In Two Days
- This Is The Definitive Guide That Gets You Hired by Google
Source: Occam’s Razor
23. The urgency headline
Formula: Last Chance [To Do Something]
- Last Chance To Get 15% Off
- Last Chance To Get This Free Book
- 70% Of All products Ends Tomorrow!
24. The inspiration headline
Formula: [Use Power Words To Encourage Your Customers To Take Action]
- Always Be First!
- Never Be A Second Behind!
25. The testimonial headline
Formula: How I Made [Number] From [Things/Doing Something]
- How I Made $10,000 From Running Only Facebook Ads
- How I Got 20,789 Subscribers From Using A 10-second Popup
26. The question headline
- Do You […]?
- Are You […]?
- Want To Know More […]?
- Want To Take [Gift/$X/Discount] For Free?
- Are You Doing SEO Wrong?
- Do You Think You Already Have The Best Smartphone?
- Want To Take A 20% Discount For Free?
Source: Become A Writer Today
27. The news headline
Formula: [Use Power Words To Make Your News Exciting That Visitors Can’t Miss]
- Today’s Flash Sale
- Today’s Best Deal
- New Product Launch!
- It’s Time For Spring Cleaning!
28. The social proof headline
Formula: Join [A Specific Number/Hundreds/Thousands/Millions] Of Followers/Subscribers, etc.
- Join Millions Of Subscribers
- Join 250,000 Fans
29. The curiosity headline
- [Number] Secrets To [Achieve Desired Outcome]
- […] To Get Your Secret Gift
- There Are [An Ultimate List]…
- Can You Keep A Secret?
- 10 Secrets To Dress like Taylor Swift and Kendall Jenner
- Enter Email To Get Your Secret Gift
- There Are Only 3 Types Of Friends That You Should Have In Your Life
Source: Start a Mom
It’s easy to write a boring headline, but it can be quite tricky to write an irresistible one.
Boring headlines for email opt-ins and popups can make you lose a lot of potential subscribers and conversions. It’s time to tune your headlines up to win back them.
The best thing is you don’t need to reinvent the wheel. All you need to do is making use of 29 headline formulas above – they’re all proven to convert.
Take action right now, and if you have any questions, feel free to reach us. We’re glad to help you out.